Bronxville Family Dental provides dental implants in Bronxville, NY. Call 914-337-8430 to learn more and schedule an appointment.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are a replacement option for teeth that are missing or too damaged to be saved. A dental implant consists of a titanium post that is surgically placed in your jaw to replace the natural root of a tooth. A crown can be attached to the implant to replace a single tooth. When some or all of the teeth need to be replaced, multiple implants can be placed in the jaw to support a bridge or dentures.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants have many benefits as a tooth replacement option:
- Secure. Dental implants fuse with the bone in your jaw to form a solid bond that can last a lifetime.
- Natural look. Dental implants provide a natural appearance because the tooth is anchored in the jaw in a similar way to your natural tooth roots.
- Natural function. The sturdiness of dental implants allow them to function like your natural teeth. You can eat the foods you love without concern for your dental work.
- Won’t damage other teeth. Dental implants exist independently of your other teeth, unlike dental bridges that depend on the existing teeth for support. You avoid the inevitable damage that bridges and partial dentures can inflict on your surrounding teeth.
- Preserves bone structure. Dental implants prevent the jaw bone from weakening and resorbing due to missing teeth. The bone keeps its structural integrity.
It is because of these benefits that dental implants are considered to be the highest quality tooth replacement option available in dentistry.
Types of Dental Implant Restorations
There are different types of dental implant restorations. The best option for you depends on your individual needs.
Single tooth replacement. A dental implant can replace a single tooth that is missing or severely damaged.
Implant supported bridge. Two dental implants can support a bridge to replace a row of adjacent teeth.
Implant supported dentures. When all of the teeth in either the upper or lower jaw need to be replaced, implant supported dentures can be held securely in place by 4-6 implants placed strategically in the jaw bone.
Are You a Good Candidate for Implants?
An ideal candidate for dental implants is someone with one or more teeth that need to be extracted due to severe decay or damage. When the damaged teeth are still in place it means the jaw bone is most likely strong enough to support dental implants. If your teeth have been missing from your mouth for a while, the jaw bone may have started to weaken and dissolve in the location of the missing teeth.
Does this mean dental implants are not an option for you? No, it simply means you may need a procedure to prepare the jaw for a dental implant. A bone graft or sinus lift procedure involves the placement of a bone fragment on top of the existing bone to encourage regeneration of the bone tissue. It may take a few months for the bone to grow thick enough for an implant to be placed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Us Today
Call 914-337-8430 to schedule an appointment.